Monday, August 2, 2010

Small Poison Ivy setback and moving forward

Logged about 15 hours of training the week of July 19-25. Saturday I ran 16 miles group run and it was pretty stinking hot (could be on race day! :) ) and then turned around Sunday and did a solo 7 hour workout...my longest ever. I keep saying that every week...
'longest ever'.

So on Sunday I swam 5 x 500, drove south to Heritage for an 80 mile ride (4 x 20 mile loop to work on pace. Result? I am freakishly consistent), then an hour run. It was hot as usual. Seeing all the horses along 199th made me happy. Getting ready to run, I really didn't feel like doing it and was cranky. Did it. First 10 minutes = cranky. Next 10 minutes = a little better. Next 40 minutes = I'm fine, this isn't that bad! Best moment that made me smile (have to find those little things) a dog frolicking at the dog park. He found a puddle to run through then plopped down right in the middle of it looking so proud of himself.

Tuesday/Wed/Thursday of the next week roll around and disaster...I got poison ivy on my legs during my 16 mile run. Touched that, then wiped my eye :( Itch-fest and swollen eye follow...followig Friday realizing something very bad is going on, I go to urgent care and get treatment.

I miss the August 1st group Century Ride, which would have been another great opportunity to practice nutrition and endurance and hang with IMKY peeps. My eye is half swollen shut that morning. That and the treatment would impact my (and others?!?) safety on the bike.

So I get on the trainer for a little while but it isn't the same. But it isn't nothing either!

Monday...eye is better and I'm able to get goggles on and back in the pool.

I feel overjoyed. Although it was a short break from training, maybe the poison ivy happened for a reason. Maybe my body needed rest. It made me appreciate being ABLE to train. I felt joy being in the pool today and moving. When you really can't do something, it makes you appreciate the time you CAN all the more.

4 more weeks. Tis August, the month of Ironman.

No comments: