Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Reflections 11 days out from IMKY

On October 29, 2009 I took the plunge and registered for something life-changing. "Congratulations! You are now registered for 2010 Ford Ironman Louisville." Here I am about 10 months later...with 11 days to go. Time flies (when you are having fun).

My friends will tell you that I said I'd NEVER do this. "Never say never" right? I also said that about my second and third half Ironman races. And yet here I am...ready to go complete this race:

Swim 2.4 miles, Bike 112 miles, Run 26.2 miles = 140.6 miles

So looking back at this point...I still remember and know exactly why I signed up:

1. Because I can. Thanks to my time at Fit Pit, my body has been strong and for the most part injury free. I'm thankful for my health!!!

2. I have the time...I'm single and don't have kids. Next year I'll be running for re-election for City Council, so that wouldn't have been a good time to tackle this!

3. Needed a challenge. I was bored and crave meaningful life experiences. Ironman is a big one in that department.

4. Lisa Fowler and Alex Franz were doing it. They are two of the coolest people I know. And I know a lot of amazing people.

5. Lots of other great people signed up too. That could be fun, and I'd have them to share the experience with! It's been fun getting to know people and being part of this together.

6. To honor some special people that I and loved ones love and miss. The past few years have been tough and sad with losses: my Lenexa family (Former Mayor Joan Bowman, former Mayor and Senator Rich Becker, Councilwoman Jane Klein, and Councilman John Ramsey), family (my Uncle Terry), and loved ones of loved ones (Bill Warner, Megan McBride Franz, Harold Green...). It is a way to express my support and care for their families, and that I miss, remember, and honor them.

7. I've been inspired by a lot of other amazing tri friends that have completed Ironman.

8. I wanted to see what I would learn.

What have I learned so far...11 days out?

1. Hiring a coach (Ryan Ross & Kathy Boyd: Perception Multisport) has been invaluable. I've learned so much from them and have appreciated their approach and guidance.

2. Perceptions and realities change. The first sprint triathlon I did in 2000 was intimidating, and I backstroked the first couple of tri swims in my 'career' because I wasn't used to putting my face in the water (and didn't like it very much). 10 years later, I'm doing an Ironman! Building up to this experience and training volume led to new 'normals' (and I definitely emphasize the quotes on that word!!!). Some things don't seem AS hard anymore. You get used to the changes and volume necessary for Ironman...for me mainly it was higher volume and time investment. Ironman once seemed daunting and it still is, but you can manage it and it seems more possible.

3. There are times this was boring, and times it was amazing. There are times when I wanted to do more, and times when I didn't want to workout but did it anyway. Times I felt great and times I felt terrible. In the end I did what my coaches asked me to do. You have to make sure your and your coaches are a good fit and then trust their plan and execute it.

4. There were times I threw in the towel (i.e. was kicked in the face at open lake swim and hang it up for the day). There were times I cursed my workout. As long as it isn't a regular occurance or mode of operation, sometimes it is okay to hang it up. Sometimes it just isn't your day and you need a tiny break. The important thing is to learn something / get back out there / pick yourself up. Be tough on yourself, but not too tough. And have good communication with your coaches!

5. As lucky and happy and fortunate as I can be, I'm human and feel voids sometimes. No material possession or challenge or experiences or Ironman can ever truly fill that. Nothing in this world will fill a void...other than my spirituality and love for God.

6. I believe in myself. I can choose to face fears, change course, chart a new course, learn, grow, face hardship, and actually embrace all of that. I can choose to see what is possible and work within my power to make it happen.

7. The poison ivy really stunk. That was pure evil.

8. And finally, I used this as an excuse to buy lots of new tri toys...including my Felt B2. Love it.

Yes, this experience has been pretty deep so far. 10 months. 11 more days. It will be interesting. I can't wait to see what happens.

Amy

1 comment:

Kills Many Bears said...

How did I not notice this blog's existence until now? I'm gonna have to catch up real quick. I'm so excited for your journey. Enjoy every friggin' moment!