Tuesday, August 31, 2010

IMKY - Run + FINISH!

Okay. The marathon. The first three miles of the run were awesome and I loved the bridge view over the Ohio River!

After that I was feeling a little overwhelmed & intimidated by the notion of the marathon and was a bit cranky because of the heat. I walked a lot. Then I realized that I had to overcome this mentally and get with the running plan that I had practiced. I had to engage, get happy, and get to the finish line. I bucked up and started running 8 min with 1 min of walking. It wasn't bad once I got moving. I can't say it was as joyous as the swim though :)

We ran past the beautiful University of Louisville and wished that I could meander the course through the campus a little. The out and back seemed to go on and on and on. We also ran past Churchill Downs and then finally the turnaround. Tried to find positives to cling to and just take it bit by bit. As Tim O'Donnell helpfully reminded me - KEEP MOVING FORWARD. You have to keep going. Even if I did walk, I tried to prod myself to at least walk faster. There were a LOT of people walking - it seemed like "hey everyone is doing it".

Had to take it one segment at a time, and make it to the 2nd loop. And getting into the second loop required running right smack by the finish line. I just had to laugh...it was such torture!!!! But it reminded me of what I had to look forward too. It would be my turn eventually! The cheering spectators helped so much, including the awesome KC crew.

I started getting really tired around mile 18...started doing 5 minutes on, 1 off. Miles 20-23 weren't great with more or equal walking & running. But then I figured if I ran as much as possible from there, I could get in under 15 hours. All I could think about was that I WOULD get there...I WOULD be an Ironman...I WOULD be okay. I had to fight mind over matter.

Even though the run was the hardest part for me, in retrospect I realized that I was having a pretty good day...relatively smooth. There seemed to be a lot of DNF's and there were many many people throwing up on the run. Talk about tough times. I didn't have bad stomach problems and kept the nutrition simple - water, small sips of Coke and chicken broth, Hammer Endurolytes (2 per hour) and my yummy Sports Beans. They were AWESOME, because they are so small and you can just eat 2-3 at a time.


The sun setting was AWESOME...it felt so much cooler out. When it got dark, we got glow necklaces.
When I got to mile marker 25, it was just such an amazing feeling of joy. Almost there. Almost there. Keep going. This is happening! It was emotional. I got kind of choked up the last stretch before rounding the corner so I could vent that emotion.

They gave us advice that we should savor the finish and not sprint and rush through it, so I tried to take it all in. It was hard, because I had tunnel vision on the finish and there are bright lights in your face. :) I heard the people cheering and started to Jersey Shore fist-pump...I may have been yelling. I wanted to dance, or do cartwheels. It was just completely surreal. I heard some friends but couldn't see them. It was just glorious. I was SO happy to have completed this.

I cross the finish line. The announcer says "Amy Slater...you are an Ironman". And I smile for the cameras. (My finish is about 1:20 into the video below :) )




Run time - too long! Averaged 14 ish minute miles.

Total time: 14 hours and 57 minutes

The Aftermath

I am very very very very tired. My legs are stiff. The volunteer puts a medal around my neck and I get a post-finish photo. Apparently I think I'm a hilarious super model and strike some kind of sassy pose :). One of the volunteers says that I am 'working it' and I am happy that I'm lucid enough to laugh.

I feel okay and really really terrible at the same time. Looking down at my legs, I'm horrified to see a hideous hot pink heat rash. Meagan comes to greet me and thankfully takes me to where the post-race/morning bags are. Medical is there, so I decide to see what they think of my heat rash.

They immediately put me in a wheelchair and take me back (some people had to wait in a waiting area for quite some time)...and proceed to give me TWO IV's, one with Benedryl. It took the med guy 3 times to get the IV in and it hurts...I feel scared that it isn't going to work.

I'm pretty upset that I feel this terrible and am also missing seeing my friends and being at the party at the finish. I feel pretty alone too. I declare that I will not do another Ironman. I call my parents to let them know where I am. My coach is texting me and is worried.

The medical student volunteer listens to me babble on and on.

Finally I calm down and am FREEZING because of the IV's and my teeth are chattering. But I know this is doing me some significant good.

I can't really get a hold of anyone but am finished after the midnight race deadline, so I feel overjoyed when they call me and 5 of the KC crew stop by to pick me up. I am so happy to see them, and I'm actually able to walk back to hotel, which I know is good for me to move a bit.

Meagan, Carly, and I clean up and then chit chat about the race until almost 2 in the morning.

Why is it still surreal? I am an Ironman. We are!!!

Everything is going to be okay. You start to feel better and life will go on...

No comments: