Saturday, August 28, 2010

Twas the Night Before Ironman...

...and all through the hotel, athletes were carb loaded and rocking compression socks with visions of GU packs and the Big Race dancing in their heads.

Is this for real??? The race is tomorrow??? What???? Really?????

I arrived in Louisville with my buddy Alex on Thursday morning and the rest of the KC rolled in late Thursday or early Friday. It seemed like we had SO much time. Friday night the big KC group went to the banquet and pre-race orientation.

And here we are the Day Before. We rolled out for the official practice swim in the Ohio River this morning at 8 am and that was interesting. According to Ben Schloegel, we'd have more athletes around us in the practice swim than the actual race. I am SO SO happy this isn't a mass swim start. My swim was nice and relaxed, and it was a good ice breaker to have been in the river.

Then I went for an easy 30 minute run and picked up a Starbucks latte on the cooldown.

Meagan, Mike, and I had some Jimmie John's and then Meagan and I dropped our gear bags and bikes at transition, got mini-orientation on the swim entrances, bike in/out, run in/out and changing tents. Then Meagan and I drove some of the bike course. It's pretty! A bit hilly in places, but not much different than what we train on in Kansas.

We bypassed the craziness of actually trying to get a table at Spaghetti Factory and ordered takeout...then Mike, Alex, Meagan, Carly, and I had our carb feast back the hotel. That was WAY more relaxing. So glad I have these friends to share the experience with.

And so now it's time to chill, and hopefully sleep. And tomorrow is the BIG DAY. I really can't believe it.

Yes, I'm feeling a bit emotional but feeling good. I want to really enjoy this day. The good and the bad...embrace the experience. And really savor crossing that finish line. I want it.

Amy

No comments: