Sunday, July 18, 2010

Long Weekend...first 18 miler ever!

Wow. I made it through a tough weekend and I'm okay. Tired though...for now. I tend to bounce back quickly.

Saturday I swam 13 x 200 (about 1.6 miles), then biked 3 hours (~49), then ran 5.5. That took about 5 hours and it was HOT. The sun = no mercy. That was tough and I felt like toast. It was slightly upsetting...just because it was hard in the heat. The heat index ended up being 107 that day.

Sunday was scheduled for an 18 mile run - my first ever! I did it!!! Just finished a little over an hour ago. Topped that off with my Hammer Recoverite (which I'm obsessed with drinking immediately after this workouts - convinced it will help me feel better during recovery. It gets a ratio of carbs/protein back in the body quickly as cells start repairing after the trauma).

You can see my run route by the title link...it actually came out to 17.5 on that and then I ran and extra 1/2 mile along Lake Lenexa at the end. And if you know that area, it is HILLY on Prairie Star Pkwy. Really hilly. My Louisville tri friend Mike C ran 'with' me though he is faster and did 16. That helped. I didn't actually use my iPod till I had about 3 miles left.

The fatigue started to creep in at mile 11...then had 3 big hills (about a half mile each) finishing it off heading west. But once I have about 2 miles left, I perk up again and feel better. I did walk a little more each mile for 2 miles between 14-16. Even with all that walking, my avg was under 12 min/mile.

Okay so race day, I'd "only" have 8 more miles to go!!!! Ack :)

No comments: