Monday, July 5, 2010

First 16 Mile Run ever!

Continuing my effort to document the experience leading up to Ironman to keep the memories...

Sunday July 4th - a new milestone for me. Set out a little after 7 am for a solo 16 mile run, my longest ever! I made sure the route had plenty of places to get water or make a pit stop. Headed west for 6 miles and then jumped on the JoCo trail system and ended up just south of SM Park. The trail was looking gorgeous...I always appreciate having that amenity.

Split the run into halves and took the second half in 2 mile & mile by mile chunks. I was pretty exhausted. It was probably just "one of those days" where I was tired to begin with. Last week my 14 mile run was a little better, but my legs were pretty tired at the end.

Mentally, I hung in there and toughed it out. Couldn't help but think...at Louisville I'll still have 10 miles to go! Funny how that seemed hard, but possible at the same time. There were times I just had to throw pace out the window and relax...focused more on keeping on instead of how fast I was going.

I'm officially in territory I've never been before. I've biked a Century before (4 times now) but have never run a marathon. *THAT* is the part that has made me a little nervous - the long run. At least while biking I have my machine under me...with running it is all you and only you.

I've heard friends refer to the "Pain Bank" and yesterday I had some deposits. I just felt totalled.

Perspective is changing though. You complete a long workout and know you can get through it. It hurts, but then the next day you are back to normal. Ibuprofin helps!

No comments: