Thursday, July 7, 2011

Paleo Pear Pie

I have quite a few friends that adhere to the Paleo Diet For Athletes (http://www.trainingbible.com/pdf/Paleo_for_Athletes_Cliff_Notes.pdf). I do not follow it strictly (I like Greek yogurt!!!) but work on incorporating as much of it as I can as often as I can. Being involved in triathlon, I have to fuel wisely while also balancing trying to enjoy life (and great food...and pizza).

One thing that I know is that I love desserts, and maybe I could find some that are a bit better than others. Enter tonight's experiment: Paleo Pear Pie.

Crust: Blend together via processor
1/4 cup almond flour (160 calories: 14 g Fat, 6 g carbs [1 g sugar], 6 g protein)
4 medjool dates

Filling:
1 pear chopped (100 calories: 26 g carbs [16 g sugar])
1/2 cup pecans (377 calories: 39 g fat, 7 g carbs [2 g sugar], 5 g protein)
2 tbsp Agave nectar (120 calories: 16 g carbs [15 g sugar]) the less you can use, the better.

Total for entire recipe: 757 calories (53 g fat, 61 g carbs [34 g sugar], 11 g protein.

Now, of course you have to divide that into more manageable portions :)

Two would be pretty large sized and 378 calories each. Three portions would be more ideal...only 252 calories and a lot of flavor. Notice that this isn't low fat, but you have to have some...and this source is nuts so that is a better fat than others.


No comments: