Monday, June 7, 2010

KS 70.3 – Swim 1.2 miles, Bike 56, Run 13.1



June 6, 2010 ~ Lawrence, KS

This race was a big part of my preparation for Ironman Louisville this year, and I felt WAY more prepared for it than the last 2 years. A few short weeks ago I engaged Perception Multisport coaching (Ryan Ross and Kathy Boyd) to help me bridge the gap between half Ironman and Ironman, and because I was not swimming. Yes I admit it…technically I started training for the 1.2 mile swim 4 weeks ago!

Swim – 1.2 miles ~ 44:28 (PR -2:11)

If I could finish that horrific choppy 1500 meter swim at Longview Lake two weeks ago (with little training), I could get through any swim. Luckily, the conditions at Clinton Lake were good and we were barely wetsuit legal (by ½ degree)!

What a beautiful morning! I enjoyed the swim. It is challenging making your way through the thrashing bodies in close proximity at the start, but you just have to be patient until things spread out. I felt pretty comfortable and had my own water for most of the race. Not many panic moments…only two male swimmers tried to power swim over me, one zig-zagger going back and forth right in front of me at the beginning (finally he went somewhere else), and some minor goggle issues that I could fix during the swim.

This is my first year with a wetsuit, and it did seem like the buoyancy was helpful in conserving energy during the swim. It makes your legs more float-y. Highly unlikely I will be able to wear that wetsuit at Louisville, but after this experience and investing more time in swimming I feel confident I can do the 2.4 mile Ironman swim!

I had a slightly leisurely Transition 1, with Glenn Bohannon yelling at me “come on Amy!”. I had to put some sunscreen on! :)

Bike – 56 miles ~ 3:07 17.9 mph (PR -15:45)

Ah, the new Felt B2 with race wheels. So nice and comfy! I have put in more work this year on the bike. The combination + great conditions made this segment joyous. The wind didn’t bother me (was there wind???) and I kept the pace steady and was feeling good, careful trying not to totally blow my legs out before the run. I think of it like the 85% rule…you go strong but try to pace yourself too because there is more to come.

Weird issues? There was an enormous deceased dear on the side of the road that made me sad. We also had to dismount our bikes and carry them over an oil spill in the road. There were lots of crazy bikers careening all over the place with no etiquette - oblivious to the fact that there are other people around them. One guy passed me and then proceeded to slow down and enjoy a snack break so I had to immediately pass him back. One disaster averted: a volunteer wasn’t looking and stepped out right in front of my bike at a water station because a guy had stopped in the middle of the road to get water instead of over to the side. My life and hers flashed before my eyes but she was able to get out of the way. I was kind of shocked that she didn’t look before trying to walk out there!

Run – 13.1 miles ~ 2:10 (PR -7:24)

Started off strong and then struggled. It felt hot out there. Stayed really well hydrated and had to buck up. I walked through the water stations. All the cheering from the KC people really helped!

Overall – 6:10:30 (PR -26:26) 237th / 444

Happy! My favorite part is still crossing the finish line. I came within 3 minutes of my goal time. Once again I missed Chrissie at the finish line, so luckily I had my picture with her Friday night!

So many KC people did the race, and I am SO impressed with everyone’s results. I am lucky to know so many strong, talented people.

Ironman here I come!!!

1 comment:

Trish said...

You looked great out there!! Congrats!