Sunday, May 30, 2010

2010 Kansas City Triathlon @ Longview Lake

May 23, 2010 ~ Kansas City Triathlon @ Longview Lake

I signed up for the Kansas City Triathlon long course as prep 2 weeks out from Kansas 70.3. Particularly because it was an opportunity to do a 1.5 K swim (about .93 miles) ahead of the 1.2 mile swim.

SWIM ~ And what a swim it was! It was cold, and 15-20 mph winds made for wavy waters. It was also my first wetsuit swim...after 10 years of not having one I bought a Zoot suit last fall. I was kind of nervous about correctly shimmying into that thing, but got the job done!

The swim went pretty well at first - although it was cold and I didn't feel as prepared as I should have been. Then I turned the 3rd corner to head back to shore, and the waves were really coming in. It was tough and I struggled there. I just had to get through it. And I did...made it out of the water but my time was much slower than I liked: 1.5K in 40:10 (74th out of 102 - yuck).

BIKE ~ I was kind of out of it after the swim but got settled down and out on the bike. Had a pretty smooth ride although it was pretty windy. I'm not super fond of the neighborhood portion of the course with all the crazy twists and turns. The new Felt B2 was comfy and performed well too! 24.8 miles in 1:21:16 @ 18.3 mph avg (34th out of 102 is my best split).

RUN ~ Getting your legs back under you to run after biking is always interesting. This is a pretty flat course so it isn't bad. For long course it was 2 loops, which is kind of boring but it went by pretty fast really. I felt pretty good for the most part. We were lucky that the air temp was really nice with cloud cover. 6.2 miles in 56:30 @ 9:07 avg (46th out of 102).

Overall: 3:02:30 and 46th out of 102. I was pretty happy with everything except for the swim!

No comments: