Monday, April 25, 2011

Tom

Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak whispers the o'er-fraught heart and bids it break. ~ William Shakespeare

Tom and I met because I had a bike wreck in the 1999 Corporate Challenge duathlon, and one of his BFF's sent me a get well card. Thus our paths crossed.

Saturday night I happened to see his post on Facebook that he was really looking forward to his vacation in June. He bantered with friends and I thought how fun ~ not too much longer until that vacation...I hope he has a great time. Looking back now, I couldn't help but wonder if that particular post made an impression and stood out for some reason.

Today I learned that Tom passed away Easter morning in his sleep. He was only about 3 years older than me. It's a shock. There is a disconnect...'but I was just reading about his vacation and what he was up to. How can this be?'.

I didn't know him like a best friend, but I know that he was a very nice, friendly, decent, intelligent, and interesting human being. Wish that I knew him better. I feel really sad for his close friends and family. It's just flat out sad.

Life is so unpredictable. And sometimes fragile. It just reminds me to appreciate every day, every little thing, and the people that I love. Can't hold back on that.

No comments: